Thursday, February 21, 2008

East Coast Historic Tour - Day #4

Once again...I'm amazed! What an amazing day we had. Let me break down for you what we were able to see today.

1. THE WHITE HOUSE - And I'm not talking about just walking around the perimeter, and taking a picture through the fence. I'm talking about walking into the White House and seeing it from the inside. Simply put, we were in the presence of some of the greatest leaders in the world. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take pictures inside. What struck me the most was to see the actual portrait of George Washington that Dolly Madison saved from being burned when the British set fire to the White House in 1814..."if these walls could talk"!

2. THE PENTAGON - And no, it was not a drive by photo opportunity. I'm talking about walking into the Pentagon and seeing it from the inside. What an amazing place to be in. The center of our entire military operations in 7.5 miles of hallways, 100,000 miles of telephone lines, 23,000 employees, and one of the most efficient building in the city! What struck me the most was to stand at the point where the hijacked plane flew into the building on 9/11. They are now in the process of constructing a memorial that when completed, will be amazing.

3. THE CAPITOL - Truly awe-inspiring! There is so much that I saw in this building that I can not explain here without going on for pages and pages. What struck me the most was the opportunity to go inside the Old Supreme Court room as well as the Old Senate Chamber.

4. ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETARY - Honestly, there are no words. The solemn atmosphere of being in the presence of thousands of true heroes who had given thier lives in service of our country. Also, four of our students were able to take part in the Wreath Laying Ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

This was quite an amazing day and I will be very good and limit how many pictures I provide, as I could very well show you all 150 pictures I took today.

1. The ceiling of the Rotunda inside the Capitol.
2. The Old House of Representatives chamber; "The Whisper Room" (Remind me to tell you the story sometime)
3. Plaque indicating where John Q. Adams sat inside of the Whisper Room; again...in the presence of history...WOW!
4. The Old Senate Chamber
5. The Old Supreme Court (Just for you Eric); the three chairs on the right are original chairs used by the Supreme Court justices.
6. Office of our California Representative Darrell Issa.
7. "Thank You"
8. In honor of true Warriors, from the Calvary Warriors.
9. Jefferson Memorial
10. "Taps" (video)

3 comments:

Jess Stevens said...

wow babe, amazing pictures & I can not believe all you did in just one day. can't wait til you can upload that video!

cathy said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I love seeing all that you are doing!!

Anonymous said...

Hey cam, I'm enjoying your updates. I've been on this same trip 3 times, so it really takes me back. Just thought i'd tell you that Garrett was chosen to lay the wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier. What a honor that was! I'm sure you're getting tired, but there is sooo much to see.Your cous'in-law,Michelle Williams