Tuesday, February 19, 2008

East Coast Historic Tour - Day #2

If you don't have a fondness for American History, save your pennies, and come on this trip with me next year!! As day #2 draws to a close, I'm reminded once again why I teach US History!

Today, we were able to visit Williamsburg and Jamestown, Virginia.

Williamsburg was the capitol of Virginia while under British rule. Established as the capitol in 1699, this town has seen the likes of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, George Wythe, Peyton Randolph, and many more. The town has been rebuilt to portray life as it was in Colonial America. Many of the buildings and homes have been rebuilt, but with the artifacts, journals, and other historical information they have gathered, you really get the sense of what life was like for many Americans who were subjected to live under British rule. Williamsburg is also (as far as I know) the only place in America that another nations flag is flown apart from the American flag; as you will see in the pictures below.

We also got a chance to visit and walk the campus of The College of William and Mary (established in 1693). No disrespect to Azusa Pacific (trust me, I love my school), but if I could do it all over again, I would have attended William and Mary. There is so much history to this school. George Washington started and ended his career at this school, Presidents Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and John Tyler attended the school, Benjamin Franklin was the first to be given an honorary degree, the school served as a hospital during the Revolutionary War, and at the outbreak of the Civil War, most of the professors and students joined the Confederate Army! Wow!!

We then finished our day with a tour of the Jamestown settlement (Indian village, fort, and the 3 ships that brought the original settlers to America). What you need to know is that the settlement has been recreated in its entirety. The original site that the settlers established has been closed to the public due to a recent hurricane. Regardless, to still be in the area that was the first permanent English settlement in America and where our nation began is astounding! It brings to life the stories of John Smith, John Rolfe, and Pocahontas to life (please do not get your history from Disney). You are going to have to forgive me, but I have no pictures of Jamestown as my camera battery died on me 1/2 way through our tour of Williamsburg (enter my scream of frustration here)...so unfortunately, I will only be able to share a little bit of my day with you, visually.

As for all of us weary travelers, we are well rested and doing good. There are only a couple of students I would like to put in the stocks and leave behind...just kidding, but not really. If I was frustrated that easily, I would have gotten out of teaching after my first year...I love these kids! To my students at home...I still love you too!

Stay tuned, as tomorrow we are going to see Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home), and then head into Washington DC. It's gonna be a great day!!

Here's a bit of what we saw today...I promise to make up for the lack of pictures tomorrow:
1. The capitol building in Williamsburg.
2. British flag flying alone atop the capitol.
3. The courtroom
4. House of Burgesses; Thomas Jefferson and Patrick Henry spoke of the ideals of Independence in this very room.
5. Colonial-style home; for the upper class of course.
6. Blackbeard; the most famous of the prisoners to have been housed in the Williamsburg jail.
7. Jail cell; which could have housed up to 20-30 prisoners at one time!
8. Playing a colonial game called "trapball"; notice the ball on the ground...that's why I played football...sorry dad, I tried to make you proud.
9. Cameron and Jessica's new home...what do you think babe?! Wanna move to Williamsburg?

















3 comments:

Carrie Postma said...

awesome! Sounds like a great day!
Does your "new home" have room for Auntie Coco and her fam to visit? That would be my only question.

:corinne: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess Stevens said...

love the house babe, I'll get the girls, the dog & the house packed up by next week, we'll meet ya @ the airport ;-)