Sunday, November 25, 2007

Reflections upon my Thanksgiving

When I think back upon all of the Thanksgivings in my life, none of them stand out as memorable as this year. Please don't get me wrong, I have cherished every other Thanksgiving that I have shared with my family and friends. Those have been some wonderful memories of laughter, games, movies, football, and of course, all of the food...the pumpkin pies (notice how I started with the dessert), turkey, honey-baked ham, cheesy potatoes, stuffing, and Nana's pea salad. If the pilgrims had Nana's pea salad, this country would have gotten off to a much better start.
But what makes this year's Thanksgiving so much more special, is that Jessica and I were surprised to find out that we are having another baby!! Thursday morning, as I was getting ready to take a shower, I noticed something on the sink, something that typically does not adorn our bathroom sink. I looked again, and then again, and then for a third time (I'm not wearing my glasses at this point), I finally realized what it was...a positive pregnancy test! I don't quite remember the exact words I spoke at that moment, but I think it went something like this, "Wha...huh...ummm...are you...huh??!!" Romantic wouldn't you say? Needless to say, Jess and I were not expecting this, nor were we trying to get pregnant. But the Lord has a plan. His plan is perfect in every way. I immediately think of Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans that I have for you declares the Lord..." And in this case, Psalm 30:5 rings true, "...But joy comes in the morning." Jess and I are very, very excited! But the question remains, "Is it a boy or a girl?" What are your thoughts? Let us know what you think. My thought is, if it is another girl, I will be taking monetary donations to go towards wedding funds and for the purchase of a shotgun to keep the boys away!! Just so you know, we are thinking blue for this one...and you thought this was going to be about the history of Thanksgiving.
"Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the Lord is good;
His mercy is everlasting,
And His truth endures to all generations."
~Psalm 100:4,5

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA...
those last few lines cracked me up =] =]

goodness, you are my hero!

haha!

i love your family so much =]

I'll be praying for you guys!

<3,
Chels

Anonymous said...

I'm just gonna say..."Can you count to 10? I certainly can!!!! WAAHOO!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WAAAHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now you get to feel how we felt when Carson was "discovered"...LOL!
I'm so excited for you guys. God's timing is perfect and this little precious *DUDE* is no exception.

BOY! BOY! BOY! BOY! BOY! BOY!
luv ya!
(big sis)

Jason Farman said...

WOW! Congrats, you guys! I am so stoked for you! It sounds like it truly was an amazing Thanksgiving!!!
Much love,
Jason

Carrie Postma said...

a friendly reminder...BLOG BROTHER, BLOG!